Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Melcher was established in 1912 as a Mission of St. Joseph's Parish in Bauer. Because there was not a church, Masses were held in various buildings in the downtown area.
The church building was designed by Fr. Dohmen's father, and in October, 1915 the foundation was laid. Bill Konrad was the contractor. The cost of the church amounted to $4999. The first service was held in the new church on Sunday, July 9, 1916, and the first Nuptial Mass was celebrated on September 25, 1916, when Eva Jones and James Bruce were married.
Sacred Heart's first cemetery, which was donated by Joe Wadle, lay south and east of town, where the railroad overpass now stands. The first person buried in the cemetery was John Mikita on June 22, 1918.
In 1918, there was a total of 70 families in the parish. A group of parishioners who were miners donated the bell which hung in the tower. Charles Kuchan and Tony Dorich carried the bell in the procession at it's blessing.
In 1919, at a cost of $5090, a rectory was purchased across the street from the church. In 1920, Fr. Dohmen was appointed the first pastor of Sacred Heart Church of Melcher. By 1921, there were 66 families.
The second and now existing Sacred Heart Cemetery was donated by J. E. Wadle in 1923.
By the 1960's, the parish had outgrown the facility and plans were made to build a new church at the south edge of Melcher. Ground was broken in 1969 for the new building; and in 1970, Fr Edward Leahy celebrated the first Mass in the new church. The dedication of the church was held on May 25, 1971.
Early in 2001, the decision was made by the Parish Council to add a ground-floor parish hall and religious education classrooms to the existing church. Ground was broken for the addition in July of 2002. Bishop William Franklin dedicated the new addition in September of 2003.